Thread: DIY Deck
View Single Post
Old 04-24-2019, 07:59 PM   #124
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

This Western Red Cedar is beautiful wood. I didn't have room to in my truck or room to store all I'd need for the whole project, so I got a batch at a time. Mostly 8 footers and a few 10 footers (for those places where the deck was wider to accommodate the posts).

I stacked it up under the roof out of the rain. I chose the wood carefully, but there were still things to look out for. This grade of decking had only one side graded good, and you can see the edges of some of the boards are quite rough. Those are the down sides, obviously. And there were several places where the protective plastic covering the bunk of boards at the lumberyard where the staple was still in the board. I pulled out a couple, I sawed through a couple, I snagged my hand on a couple, then I decided to stop production and take them all out.

This Western Red Cedar is beautiful wood. I didn't have room to in my truck or room to store all I'd need for the whole project, so I got a batch at a time. Mostly 8 footers and a few 10 footers (for those places where the deck was wider to accommodate the posts).

I stacked it up under the roof out of the rain. I chose the wood carefully, but there were still things to look out for. This grade of decking had only one side graded good, and you can see the edges of some of the boards are quite rough. Those are the down sides, obviously. And there were several places where the protective plastic covering the bunk of boards at the lumberyard where the staple was still in the board. I pulled out a couple, I sawed through a couple, I snagged my hand on a couple, then I decided to stop production and take them all out.

Name:  09-IMG_20181027_152209.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  399.2 KB

Name:  10-IMG_20181027_152418.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  224.4 KB

Name:  11-IMG_20181027_152339.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  289.0 KB

Name:  12-IMG_20181027_160243.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  219.7 KB