View Single Post
Old 02-19-2009, 07:21 AM   #78
memories
Resident-in-Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae Girl View Post
Thanks Memories - it's always good to know that somethign I chose almost at random can mean something to someone else

In my memory it has only ever stood next to the Telephone Exchange - with the carpark right next to the pub. I'll ask Mum & Dad, but as they only moved to Aylesbury in the 60s they might not know about the cemetary either. In fact they only moved into the house we are in now just after I was born (1972) so they wouldn't have had any reason to pass it before then.

I took a couple more pictures for you today.

First is just a close-up of the area behind the building.
As you might know, the door in the picture has the sign Gents on it. I assume they were outside when you lived there too.
I honestly don't remember the Ladies being outside, but I did only drink in there once or twice and just might not have needed to go. Behind is the Telephone Exchange as mentioned above.

Second shows the busy junction it is on. It's completely and utterly different even to when I grew up. The sorting office is on the left of course, but they pulled a lot down to open up Upper Hundreds - you're seeing all the way down to the Vale Park. To your right is Cambridge Street, and there would have been a row of shops and the Nags Head pub.
thanks for more pics "sundae girl" your a gem !.i do remember the outside gents toilets as i was often playing in the yard and locals would say hello. but ill have to ask my mother about the ladies,. was only about 3 ish when we moved on to portsmouth. i dont remember the outside scenery at all, so its realy nice to see what its like now. as you said i bet it has changed an aweful lot .
ill try and get a few more facts of mum about the pub and she willlove your pictures too . cya
memories is offline   Reply With Quote