View Single Post
Old 09-13-2007, 07:55 AM   #40
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Maybe because they see the facilities in Chester, Camden and Philly, going to hell in a handbasket. Neglected, abandoned to junkies and thugs, broken glass and trash. If the people the facilities are for, won't take care of them, how can you convince people to provide more facilities?
Did I say give them "facilities"?
Read Luke 15, 11-32

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookout123 View Post
So if the person I help this week is not black, that makes them somehow not important on the "needs help" chart? Give me a break. First of all, not all people who need help are black. second, not all black people live in one neighborhood that no on else goes too. third, are all black people poor? If not, then possibly those who do need help will also be receiving help from those in there network, area of influence, whatever you want to call it.
I don't think I said any of what you've read into my post. You said that you try
Quote:
to take care of the people around me
and my point is that if you are white and middle class, and live in the suburbs, you are not "around" the TYPICAL person who needs help. If you are middle class and live in suburbs, you probably don't need help. If you need help, you probably are not middle class and probably don't live in the suburbs. I don't think I insinuated anything more.

Quote:
In my area, I'm surrounded by a lot of mexicans. Yep, I help the ones I can. Sometimes I even leave some of the steak around the bone before I throw it at them from the window of my speeding SUV on my way back to my lilly white neighborhood.
Even after they pick your cotton all day? Wow, what a generous fellow you are.

Quote:
The point is help those you see around you and do what you can.
"Around you" being the key. After Katrina, I donated to the Bush-Clinton Katrina Fund. I am not "around" New Orleans. I could not go to New Orleans to help, or to take a car load of supplies. I did not know anyone in New Orleans to send a check to. How would I help them, using your philosophy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9th Engineer View Post
This particular rational is complete bullshit. I really mean that, there is no 'cake' or 'pie' or whatever other pastry the metaphor people have on the brain. We do not line up for our ration of wealth, we are not just given anything. If I have more then you 99.9% of the time I did more then you and planned better then you, the iota's worth left had dumb luck.
Wealthy parent "give" their children a huge slice of "pie", "cake", and filet mignon. Having good healthcare, nutrition, two parents, modern conveniences, a safe neighborhood to live in, a quality education, tutoring when needed, all give a child a great advantage over those kids who live in poverty. Even nice clothing and teeth straightened by braces give a candidate a better chance of getting a high-paying job.