View Single Post
Old 09-07-2009, 09:43 PM   #702
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

Well to be honest Kitsune, we aren't likely to get free markets in America any time soon. More and more people are having more and more of their money stolen from them, and companies who want loyalty from employees are offering none in return.

Well over 80% of what the American government takes part in or legislates over is in blatant disregard and direct violation of the U.S. Constitution.

I'd rather not be robbed at all. I'd rather we had free markets entirely. But as long as I'm going to be robbed anyway, I'd rather the money stolen from me be spent on something that improves the lives of Americans like hospitals, beds, medicine, and doctors than bombs, fighter jets, missiles, and tanks for an unconstitutional war of aggression that doesn't help or defend any Americans like those in Iraq and Afghanistan.

The insurance companies don't act in good faith, because we don't have free markets. We have a system of mercantilism where businesses are buying the influence of elected officials openly and where those people put the needs and desires of the highest payer above those of the American people. Legislation and regulations are made to prevent new businesses from starting up to compete with politically influential ones.

Since it's less likely that I'll stop getting robbed to pay for unconstitutional government programs I don't like, I may as well push to have the money that will be stolen from me anyway, to have something that doesn't suck or kill people.

Nobody can deny that the quality of care in the UK, France, or Canada is superior to the care received in America even when you have great insurance, and these places pay a fraction of what Americans pay.

I used to buy into the often spread lies about "socialized medicine" and how people in Canada were coming to America for medical procedures. When I looked further into it and actually went to the UK and Canada, I found that they weren't waiting in line for medical care like Russians waited for bread, they weren't getting substandard care, they weren't being turned down for care based on age, etc.

The few Canadians who do seek medical care in America are most often coming here for elective surgeries like boob jobs, laser eye surgery, lap band surgery, etc. and not medically necessary operations.

For every Canadian who seeks medical care or medicines from America there are a hundred or more Americans seeking medical care or medicines from Canada.

It's hard to argue with what has a proven track record, and any system that leaves millions of people without health care and some people dying in the streets because they can't afford care is a flawed one. Any system where your coverage can be jerked out from under you when you need it the most is a flawed one. Any system where you can be dropped because you forgot to tell your insurance company you had your tonsils out when you were 9 years old is a flawed one. Any system where you can lose your health care coverage that you've paid for in good faith simply because you got sick is a flawed one. Any system where people lose their homes or businesses and go bankrupt because they can't afford medical care, is a flawed one.

Are there flaws in single-payer health care systems like the UK? Yes, but they are minuscule in comparison.

I'd have less of a problem with a profit motive being attached to health care if Americans weren't already being robbed to pay for things they don't want or need, and insurance companies weren't being given a license to cheat and steal from Americans who are in need of medical care and who have paid for it in good faith. But until that day happens, I'll stick with what costs the least and works the best.