View Single Post
Old 08-30-2014, 02:35 PM   #7
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Just watched the secnd episode: Into the Dalek

Holy fucking awesome, Batman!

I am loving this new series. I always liked the hints at moral ambiguity with Smith and even Tennant - with Tennant we had the idea that whilst the Doctor never used guns he didn;t need to - he just used his companions as footsoldiers, and with Smith we had a degree of manipulativeness that reminded me strongly of the 7th Doctor back in the day. Both walked a line between the good man they were trying to be and the warrior who had killed billions in the Time War. Even so, it was always clear to us as viewers that they were basically good - and sometimes good people have to do bad things for the greater good.

It's been a recurring theme throughout the modern era of Who - but Capaldi seems to be the culmination of that theme - because he really doesn't know if he is a good man or not. And for possibly the first time in the modern era at least, we're really not entirely sure either.

We saw the beginning of his wrestling with that question in the opening episode, but for the second ep it is front and centre. We also saw the conflict between a man who dislikes and cannot feel comfortable around soldiers, and yet is effectively one himself.

Lovely intro to Clara's new potential boyfriend too, Danny Pink. A former soldier turned school teacher. I'm really liking him.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote