View Single Post
Old 12-10-2009, 09:41 PM   #1448
Redux

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman View Post
I'm still not sure that this is comprehensive reform. I'm not sure it really addresses the problems within the system. It definitely adds a lot more people, no doubt there. But there are still inherent systemic problems that have been around a long time.
It addresses far more than just adding people (30+ million uninsured whose health care costs impact all of us in the form of higher premiums, lost productivity, etc.).

For the first-time, it provides protections to the vast majority of those currently insured.....protections against being dropped for pre-existing conditions...protections against excessive out-of-pocket expenses so that millions wont face bankruptcy as a result of a medical emergency...protections against rating discrimination against women....protections against collusion and rate-fixing by insurance companies.....

For the record, I dont think these bills will fix every problem with the current system...particularly the long-term solvency of Medicare....but, IMO, it represents a giant leap in the right direction as opposed to just a small step..or even worse, just standing still.

There are no guarantees. yet, for all the bitching and whining from the right, I have yet to see a better solution.

The only thing we know for certain is that doing nothing and letting the current system continue to fester will not result in that system healing itself in the public interest.

Last edited by Redux; 12-10-2009 at 10:14 PM.