View Single Post
Old 07-19-2018, 05:54 AM   #1416
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

In late March - early April we were emerging from a very wet winter.
Our back garden slopes and we are on a deep layer of chalk so, at least in theory, it should be well drained, but for months the lawn squelched underfoot and was in danger of becoming a quagmire.
Three to four months on we are experiencing a prolonged period of hot weather and barely any rainfall.
Grass has turned brown, I haven't mowed the lawns in weeks and it's like concrete underfoot.

Name:  UK Weather Sat.jpg
Views: 600
Size:  46.5 KB

Quote:
Satellite imagery has revealed how the UK’s heatwave and drought has changed its appearance.

A photo taken in May shows the country covered in Green, but another recent image shows it reduced to a shade of brown.

The longest heatwave Britain has experienced in 42 years saw just 47mm of rainfall between 1 June to 16 July.

It makes it the driest start to summer on modern records, which date back to 1961.

Britain could see its hottest summer on record this year if above average temperatures continue, according to the Met Office.

Even if the rest of the summer is average, it will “certainly rank in the top 10 warmest summers on record,” the national weather service said.

However, a spokesperson for the Met Office cautioned: “It is important to remember we are only half way through the season, and a lot can change.”
As a consequence of the dry spell outlines of archaeological sites have become visible.

Name:  Cambridge.jpg
Views: 300
Size:  197.2 KB

Quote:
Remnants of WWII Air raid shelters on Jesus Green in Cambridge show up in the parched grass
Several aerial shots of parch marks in the link.

Right, I'm off to do a rain dance. I'm a beautiful mover.