View Single Post
Old 07-23-2018, 10:54 PM   #31
henry quirk
maskless: yesterday, today, tomorrow

busy with stuff...here's some nuts & bolts to play with

Originally Golgotha was to be a minarchy of the night-watchman kind (what I personally favor in the here and now).

If I'd gone that route surely there'd be some kind of constitution, sumthin' extending out of 'mnd your own business, keep your hands to yourself...or else'. But I discovered while researching economic systems, and fleshing out Uroboros, Golgotha isn't a minarchy but an anarchy. Much of what I assumed in terms of court, police, military for Golgothans didn't pan out and wasn't needed.

So: beyond the (One and Only) Law, there is no law, no constitution, no courts. What you got is a small population of (essentially) blue-collar miners and haulers and tradesfolk surounded by a variety of polities. Golgotha is self-governing in the purest sense (each 'one' responsible for himself wholly).

Makes for rough times, harsh circumstances, and guns....lots and lots of (coil) guns.

Public forum: The Bazaar is as close to a 'town hall' as you'll get. It's the prime spot for major, public trade and it serves well as a market for ideas. However, anything from a quarter to half of the population is off-Golgotha at any particular time, so the weighing of issues is on-going, informal, more a matter of gossip and grapevine than organized debate and action.

Much of the foundational Golgotha infrastructure was put in place by the Union Central Planners who intially oversaw the place. Since going independent, the place (including all the smaller bodies in proximity) has become a hodge-podge of idiosyncratic styles and engineering techniques. There are frequent (sometimes violent) disagreements on proper 'use' of a particular volume of the interior. Not surprisingly, there's just as much cooperation (motivated by self-preservation) as competition.

#

Golgothans don't care how you learned to repair an atmosphere scrubber, or how you learned to figure atmospheric pressure for an irregular volume, or how you learned to target a comm laser, or how you learned communicate -- in writing and speech -- exactly what you mean. They just care that you can.

To that end: there is the equivalent of home-schooling, and apprenticing, along with whatever folks pursue on their own when adults.

#

As I mentioned above: I've rethought certain aspects of things, moving Golgotha from minarchy to anarchy, so constables are off the table. Order, such as it is, is maintained through equal parts of self-direction, self-defense, thinkin' before you act, vigilantism, etc.

As for 'fire' (or explosive decompression): self-preservation over the long haul has taught Golgothans a lot about how to drop everything and go patch that hole...NOW. That guy you hate? Hate him later ('later' bein' sumthin' you won't see if you and that guy you hate don't patch that hole...RIGHT NOW)

Golgothan economy inspired by this essay...

http://www.anarchism.net/anarchism_b...capitalism.htm

Golgothan notions of 'property' inspired by this essay...

http://www.anarchism.net/anarchism_p...asynthesis.htm

Full explanations to follow, as my time gets un-stuffed.
henry quirk is offline   Reply With Quote