View Single Post
Old 05-23-2016, 11:39 AM   #91
glatt

Sunday 5/22 continued again

With the slots cut, it’s time to make some splines. Through trial and error, I set the fence to the exact distance from the blade to get a good spline thickness. My zero clearance blade insert is critical here so the spline doesn’t fall down into the saw as it is cut. I used some of the last scraps of that maple bed frame to cut a few long skinny splines, and then cut them into triangles with the miter gauge.
Name:  IMG_4726.JPG
Views: 307
Size:  130.2 KB

And then I started gluing them into place. This was kind of messy. I got glue all over my fingers.
Name:  IMG_4728.JPG
Views: 304
Size:  118.0 KB

And while the glue on the frame splines dried, I turned my attention to the wheel shafts. I had bought a 2 foot fucking metal bar online, and needed to cut it to length. So I started with the lower shaft. It needed to be 20 centimeters. My son had been using the hacksaw a lot to make various zombie weapons and it had basically no teeth left anymore, so I put a nice new blade on. He saw me do this and was thrilled. The hacksaw will cut again!
Name:  IMG_4731.JPG
Views: 291
Size:  161.4 KB

I tried to rotate the cut of the hacksaw so it would be held by a thread of steel in the middle of the bar and wouldn’t have a nasty burr on the corner, but even so, the cut was a little rough and I had to file it smooth.
Name:  IMG_4732.JPG
Views: 297
Size:  87.2 KB

Last edited by glatt; 05-23-2016 at 11:58 AM.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote