View Single Post
Old 05-09-2004, 06:53 PM   #92
Lady Sidhe
That's my story and I'm stickin' to it....

"10. How can mutations (recombining of the genetic code) create any new, improved varieties? (Recombining English letters will never produce Chinese books.)

11. Is it possible that similarities in design between different animals prove a common Creator instead of a common ancestor?

12. Natural selection only works with the genetic information available and tends only to keep a species stable. How would you explain the increasing complexity in the genetic code that must have occurred if evolution were true?"

Some of these have answers. Mutations that are beneficial come from oopsies. We can use the moth example. I don't remember the specific details such as the name of the town, but:

In this town, the moths all tended to be white with gray speckles, and matched the trees, and were thus camoflauged and had a better chance of surviving. The moths that were black were easily seen against the trees, and eaten. When coal power, and the resulting ash, came to the town, the trees ended up with a layer of soot on them, which made the white moths stand out. The black (mutated) moths survived and outbred the white moths.

Mutation can either be an oopsie that generally kills the organism, or it can be brought about by environmental situations that favor the mutation, such as with the black moths. Mutations that help the organism survive continue to be bred into the offspring. Those that do not help the organism survive are bred out, because these organisms die before they are able to pass on the mutation.

The similarities only serve to prove evolution to me. I'm not quoting this as scientific fact, so don't take it that way, but it seems to me that as organisms begin to branch out more and more (for instance, the Mudhopper, a fish that has both gills and lungs, and can spend a significant time out of the water) that the ones who have certain traits will tend to do better, and thus branch out even MORE, and those who are best suited to survive in the new environment will breed that suitability into their offspring, which is what evolution is all about. I think that would answer #12, also.

The first example, of the moths, is the only actual scientific observation that I can say with certainty. The other two are just my educated opinions.

But then again, like I said before...I have no problem reconciling evolution with creationism. I believe in a Deity, and I believe that Deity gave the space dust the first shove in the right direction, then just sat back and let it go on its merry little way.

Here are some interesting links:

http://www.biology-online.org/2/11_n..._selection.htm
http://www.alternativescience.com/darwin's_finches.htm

Sidhe

edit: addition of links

Someday I want to be rich. Some people get so rich they lose all respect for humanity. That's how rich I want to be.
-Rita Rudner

Last edited by Lady Sidhe; 05-09-2004 at 06:59 PM.
Lady Sidhe is offline   Reply With Quote