View Single Post
Old 04-25-2003, 11:28 AM   #21
arz
Hand-of-Kindness Extender

Quote:
Googling says the first date is the Beatles' Ed Sullivan appearance and the last is the Stones at Altamont.
I am a huge British Invasion fan and an Anglophile in general. For me, if it's English then it's good (I ride a Triumph for goodness sakes!). I picked those dates because it seems to define an era, but ultimately the standout musicians are English in any era.

The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, The Kinks and the like loom larger in my life than The Beach Boys, for example. In the 70's, the decade in which I came of age, I was very much into the progressive rock stuff; Yes and Genesis, mostly. Boston and Aerosmith and Springsteen; not so much. The 80's were when I got rolling with music; The Cure, The Smiths, Elvis Costello, Squeeze, XTC, Crowded House (not English but close, I suppose), U2 (same).

There are musicians still working and still creating compelling music from the 70's and 80's that I still enjoy; Neil Finn, Peter Gabriel, Elvis C and XTC are still around and still making creatively vital music. U2 comes and goes but they hit a high point with thier last CD, I suppose.

So, to sum up, I agree that good music isn't really tied to a decade. For me it's connected to a time zone.
arz is offline   Reply With Quote