Thread: Weird News
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2019, 08:37 AM   #4042
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post
...This is going to bring about a bad mindset, you mark my words.

The If-you-so-much-as-look-crossways-at-me-Ima-just-kill-ya-cuz-you-might-have-a-gun-too kinda mindset.

We didn't need a permit for open carry, anyway, but this just seems nuts.

Kicker: We join 12 other like-minded states.
That's certainly a popular thought with many people. But allow me to give another perspective that you might not have considered.

What if having a concealed weapon gives people the security to help people in distress? Maybe a motorist having troubles? Someone having very manageable troubles like a flat tire. Or maybe engine trouble of some sort. Maybe you see that this person is vulnerable in some way and nervous or scared.

You aren't billy bad ass rushing out with a gun to shoot everyone but you have a little security just in case. You can be a little vulnerable yourself to assist without completely compromising your safety.

Or maybe you go somewhere out of the way maybe late at night. You see some guy roughing up a woman and yelling at her. He turns to give you an intimidating look. That same look that tells you 'I'm fucking dangerous, don't get involved here, move along'. But he stares into your eyes and reads your demeanor. That demeanor that says 'I'm not prey mother fucker'.

Or maybe you see a confrontation heating up. A couple of guys are arguing and getting increasingly louder, more angry. And maybe I'm there on the sidelines watching this. Maybe I might ask some really fucking stupid ass question to break their concentration knowing that if I break their concentration they'll likely just calm down. And if they turn on me, I have some security.

"Hey guys, really hate to interrupt here but I have a question for ya. Is there a 7-11 around here? I'm dyin' for a Slurpee"

In these cases that have happened to me, I don't yell or shout, don't pull a pistol out and spin it on my finger, but the people involved know that I'm not afraid of them.

Then the question is, he's obviously not afraid of ME, should I be afraid of him?

It's powerful. Predators are experts at assessing risk. At sensing fear. If you can manage that fear with or without a gat, you're probably going to be in a position to avoid troubles. In some cases help people and be a better witness to events.

"Yes, your Honor, I saw that man punch that lady"

While I am sympathetic to people that think negatively about people having concealed guns, my experience and that of millions of others is completely different.

That's probably why we still have the 2nd amendment. Secretly people know and understand that much of the anti-gun narrative is completely false. Despite all the emotional press about guns, I still like to have a piece. I trust myself.

Here's a link with some citizen defensive gun use. Not quite the same as I've detailed here but similar.

And don't forget my favorite pro-gun bumper sticker.

"I'd rather have a gun in my hand than the cops on the phone"
slang is offline   Reply With Quote