View Single Post
Old 06-29-2012, 08:35 AM   #328
glatt

I've been away for a few days.

I went with my son's Webelos den to scout camp in the mountains of Virginia. It was a crazy experience. Lots of mahem and boys being boys running around and yelling and having fun. It was a blast.

This is Goshen Virginia. It's owned by the National Capitol Area Council of the Boy Scouts. The land was purchased decades ago by the heiress of the Post cereal company and donated to the Boy Scouts.

So here's where I slept for 3 nights. It was freaking cold at night, and there was little to keep the bugs out. But they weren't bad at all. My tent mate had to leave after the first night, so I got a tent to myself for the last two nights.
Name:  P1310587.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  115.9 KB

This was the swim area. Very scenic. In the time I was there, there was only swimming on the first day, and that was just to pass the swim test. The other days, we were busy with other activities. My son is still there, and it's supposed to hit 100, so they better let the kids go swimming today.
Name:  P1310603.JPG
Views: 166
Size:  171.1 KB

Here's the dining hall. What a freaking zoo! The food wasn't bad, but it was so loud and crowded. Almost 300 people there this week. All eating at once. Since we went to the dining hall 3 times a day, it was a big part of the experience.
Name:  P1310639.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  90.7 KB

Tuesday, we went for a hike in the morning. It was supposed to be a mile long, but was actually 5 miles long. We got some bad information from the leaders, and I felt bad because I brought water, but no snacks for the kids I was responsible for. Oh well. Very nice hike though.
Name:  P1310735.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  132.0 KB
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote