View Single Post
Old 03-09-2015, 05:06 PM   #11
chrisinhouston
Professor

Thanks Gravdigr for your comment.

Yes, I will fix it and I called the stealership this morning to give them my contact information. Then I stopped by my investment broker to initiate the sale of some funds from my beneficiary IRA which I can draw on with no penalties. I explained the scenario to both my broker and his office manager and they both shook their heads and commented that didn't think I was financially responsible and my step son was wrong to demand I do so. I no longer have credit cards that I can just whip out and charge the repair.

But I will pay to fix it because it is the bigger thing to do and I know that I am the bigger man and it will keep some family peace. And I don't want to do anything to jeopardize my close relationship with my grand kids, they are in no way involved so I won't hesitate to watch them or pick them up from school on rainy days or when they are sick. Letting them suffer from this would be as bad as parents who are divorcing and get the kids in the middle of it.

That being said, I doubt I will offer any help to my step son for awhile. I also don't think I will socialize with him, we typically do holiday dinners at there house and I won't be attending this Easter. My wife and I had a long talk about it and she pointed out that he is like his late father and his possessions are more important than anything. She used that old expression, "he'll cut off his nose to spite his face."
chrisinhouston is offline   Reply With Quote