View Single Post
Old 05-04-2015, 02:18 PM   #10
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by footfootfoot View Post
The washing machine broke a few days ago. I knew the bearings were going because they sounded like the hammers of hell.

Well, they went and in a big way. pics to follow.

It was easy getting the smaller bearing off because the inner race shattered, and the outer race was in a position to be easily knocked out. The larger bearing was pretty much annihilated leaving only the outer race which is pretty much flush with the housing it is set in. From the back there is about 1/16 of an inch lip. I can't torch it because the steel housing is set into the plastic drum of the washer. I've tried a punch and deadblow but that's not doing anything. When I worked on the bike shop we had a tool like this for removing bearing cups from the headset.

I think I will probably have to make one.

If you're making your own, what about using a gear puller style tool?

Look here for an example of a DIY gear puller.

If I am imagining this right, you'd use the tool in your post to pound from the inside of the drum against the outer race to knock it out. A puller could be used on the outside of the drum and would use the screw force to pull from the outside to the outside. I see two advantages here. One, you can be a lot more delicate, precise, gentle, etc with a screw than you can with a hammer, in most cases. I'd hate to knock the hammer and crack the tub. Fuuuuuck that would be a hammer blow I'd want to take back. Of course, you're able to crack it with a screw tool too, but.. I think you'd creep up on the point of no return much more cautiously. Second, I'd sure like working on the outside of the drum rather than the inside of the drum. I'm not especially claustrophobic, but swinging a hammer inside that small well just has a lot of places to go wrong.

I could be imagining this all wrong too, but this is how I see it. Please keep us updated.

Or, any of this style, with the jaws reversed so they bite outwards toward the outer race. It looks like many of these have the jaws held on with a simple hex bolt and nut, undo it, reverse the orientation of the jaw, reinstall the bolt, voila.