View Single Post
Old 01-19-2018, 09:43 PM   #152
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

No, I didn't mean that. That was the driving analogy correlation to a countermeasure.

Let's try something else.

Those with formal leadership training know there are often two solutions to a problem, a short term (interim) solution and a long term (permanent) solution. The short term solution helps alleviate apprehension, confusion, and fear by giving people a direction, focus, and restoring a sense of control. It may not be a permanent solution; but, it may be the only solution available at the time ... perhaps during your lifetime. It isn't a placebo, it's a catalyst. It helps people achieve a long term solution sooner.

The long term solution lies in changing the way men treat women. The short term solution needs to be proactive towards that end. Simple evasion as you did doesn't accomplish that; because, it doesn't change men's behavior, it just avoids it. It's not an effective countermeasure like it was in the driving analogy.

NOTE: I'm talking about harassment here. In cases of violence, creating distance can be paramount. END NOTE.

An EXAMPLE of a short term solution that initiates changes in men could be for women to establish a protocol for what to say and do when they begin to feel harassed. With all of them saying and doing the same thing, there can be little doubt in men's minds that they're out of bounds as far as the woman is concerned whether they agree with it or not. Next comes a protocol for what steps to take afterwards.

Another EXAMPLE could be taking assertiveness training (even self help courses). Learn what behaviors work best on men to prevent untoward initiatives. It's a transferable skill and an ounce of prevention is still worth a pound of cure.

I'm sure women are capable of doing more than just retribution in hindsight. Be women of vision.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote