View Single Post
Old 02-23-2005, 05:12 PM   #17
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

A clarification

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble
--snip--
Outdoors is great, but I'm afraid rain might keep us from too many of those types of things.
The rain in Spain--wait--sorry. The rain in Seattle has a justified reputation for it's near-omnipresence (sunny today though), but really, you don't get wet, it's just really light rain, really often. Your head and shoulders will be wetter than your shoes probably.

Another thing, when do you intend to visit? In the summer, we have much less rain, and droughts and lawn watering restrictions are not uncommon. I can't think of any reasonable activity that is substantially inhibited by the rain here. I camp in the rain, walk in the rain, visit the parks in the rain, etc. Little league games have been rained out I confess. But if I had to depend on dry skies for outdoor fun, there'd be a whole lot less fun.

For my outdoor fun I keep this in mind: There are no unfavorable conditions, only inadequate preparation. For Seattle in the winter, layering is key. Fleece, and Gore-Tex and a hat will be adequate for most all situations.

The proximity of the city to the water means our temperatures are pretty well moderated so we don't have the lake-effect snow I saw in another thread.

Kayaking is certainly the wettest propostition mentioned yet, and all the other land or boat/ferry options are much drier prospects.