View Single Post
Old 01-25-2006, 06:27 PM   #57
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV
May I acknowlede the wisdom of your suggestion and bemoan its Herculean proportions without having to traipse over the the GenSup thread?

I'd have to kill five or six televisions. And I'd be alone in my relief, trapped in the company of three jonesing addicts. And then there's the several hundred videos and dvds. And the elimination of the tv would seriously dilute the threat of losing game console privileges.

Just typing that out makes me weary. I am not equal to that task. I can imagine I could put the heel of my boot to the throat of the monster--strict time limits on screen time. A program like that is already in place at HouseofV. Limits, yes. Absence? It's not really practical, not possible. For one thing, the television is one of two links to SonofV the Elder. You may remember he is enrolled at Gallaudet University (waaaay the heck over there), and since he's deaf, if we want a realtime conversation, we use the tv for videoconferencing. In the past we've used text messages, email, voice relay, tty, etc. They're ~ok~ but definitely lack the immediacy of seeing each other talk (sign).

Ok, I've revealed my weakness. I've shown my desire to make excuses. But my commitment to SonofV the Younger is undiminished. I know it's a harder road to travel when staying away from the tv requires discipline, compared to not having the temptation.

I'm not saying you're not right--I'm saying I'm not strong enough for that part of the task.

He and I sure do need to trade in some habits. The which and the how is the tricky part.
OK. Well read the books anyway, before you start anything drastic. The tv videoconferencing sounds great, you wouldn't want to lose that. But that is what tv should be about.

This is not an overnight quick fix a la "just do x and it works every time" After reading the books you'll have a lot more ammo to convince him that he doesn't want to watch tv It is an education strategy. You can get him to realize how awful it truly is. It will take a little finesse on your part and the bait and switch doesn't hurt either. You two go bike riding now, no?

Anyway. gotta go right now.

Last edited by footfootfoot; 01-26-2006 at 11:42 AM. Reason: /before i, or when souding like y, except after hey, as in bubba! and jack!
footfootfoot is offline   Reply With Quote