View Single Post
Old 09-24-2010, 03:09 AM   #1520
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Quote:
Originally Posted by footfootfoot View Post
Bring back a rock for me.
Not on your nellie, sir. (a) removing rocks from national park, (b) rude to Aboriginal people and (c) too many stories about people having a lot of bad luck after doing that - allegedly rangers regularly receive pebbles in the mail from people trying to return them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by casimendocina View Post
Driving, flying or some other form of transport? Camping or more salubrious accommodation? Have you been before? Are you going to Kata Tjuta as well? (stupid question-you can't not go being so close and I reckon they're almost even more spectacular than the Rock itself). Are you climbing the Rock or observing the wishes of the original inhabitants? Hmmm, how many other annoying questions can I think of?
Driving. Camping or cheaper hotels. Got six days in the Red Centre so I will see Uluru, Kata Tjuta, Kings Canyon and spend three days in the Western Macdonnells, maybe some hiking near Ormiston Gorge. I won't climb Uluru but I will walk around it, and I maybe do a hot air balloon ride or something. Lots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
And more to the point, when you speak of it, do you refer to it as Uluru or Ayers?
Uluru. That is the acid-test for Aussies on the Redneck / Pinko-greenie axis. That and climbing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by footfootfoot View Post
Are you going to try to photograph the sites of gender-linked rituals?
No. See above. And I had a student in Japan who had taken some film photos of some of the sacred places before he knew they were sacred. When he got home he found that this roll of film had somehow become exposed and was completely black.

My main thought here is that there has been far too much gratuitous insult (on top of injuries) offered to Aboriginal people in this country, I'm not going to add to it.