View Single Post
Old 08-17-2019, 05:36 PM   #580
Flint
Snowflake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
Speaking of snares doing their job, I was walking through the supermarket the other day, yes Wegman's, and this snare was hitting me in the face (forward to 0:30):

They don't let that snare ring at all, in a mix where everything is reverbed out.
I started getting into that super dry snare sound recently, like Nate Smith here. A folded up piece of fabric is *completely different* from taping up your head. Fabric weighs down the head, de-tuning it. And fabric can also bounce off the head, acting as a kind of gated muffling (it is NOT "choked"). The main thing about Nate Smith though, is the single-handed 16th note technique, which I really woodshedded after watching videos of his playing.

Now, here's another "grunge era" jewel. Check out the bass parts on this blazing-hot track-- really forward in the mix on the turnaround, and takes the perceptual "lead" around 2 minutes. As I've gotten older, I've noticed these type of songs where the bass guitar part is absolutely essential, and absolutely what you "hear" as the "how the song goes."
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote