View Single Post
Old 05-29-2011, 06:38 AM   #282
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Depends on the council estate.

I have known a few like you describe Bri. The distinction between estates and the projects is probably more to do with the different history behind them. Ours weren't developed to house the poorest, so much as provide affordable housing to all, including the poorest. So, the estates have been working-class homes for a long time. They vary greatly from area to area. Places with a large underclass tend to have more roudy and troublesome estates.

I lived on the edge of one in Salford in the 90s. Used to have to walk through to the little precint in the centre to use the cashpoint (ATM). I recall walking past the wreck of a burned out car, still smoking, and with a small gang of kids clambering about and smashing what was left of the glass. There was the obligatory collection of unleashed fighting and guard dogs wandering about.

The main estate in the ward I represent as a councillor is like the land that time forgot. It is perched on the top of a hill, the back of the estate literally overlooking a cliff. It feels like a forgotten place. And it sounds like a war zone at night. The police more or less leave it alone unless they're actually called out. They've given up patrolling it entirely. When the fire brigade have to go up there they face gangs of youngsters throwing rocks at the fire truck windows as they approach. Nobody goes to the shops after dark if they can help it. The kids have fuck all to do and basically wander the streets looking for trouble. Every other house is dealing with addiction problems. The entire place simmers with tension.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote