View Single Post
Old 12-26-2015, 03:14 PM   #38
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

William McKeen was the Union Pacific Railroad’s Superintendent of Motive Power when he, and/or staff, came up with this design. The Railroad built the first four cars, and subsequent units were constructed by McKeen in leased space at Union Pacific’s Omaha Shops. So McKeen started a company to build this design.

I wonder if that was Union Pacific didn't want to risk liability?
Couldn't convince stockholders this was a geed investment?
Up's charter wouldn't allow to selling to other railroads?
McKeen's name was on the patents, unlikely if he was working for UP?
It was a sweetheart deal between McKeen and the UP brass?

I also wonder what engines were used in the first four?
FOUND IT!
Quote:
The first McKeen Car was built in 1904-5, and was reported complete in March of 1905. This car was built with a steel frame and wood body, was 31′ feet long, and sat 25 passengers. It had a Riotti 50 H.P. Gasoline engine, which, when tested in the Omaha Yards, proved too weak for a train car of that size, and in two months, a 100 H.P. Riotti engine was fitted before it was sent off to Grand Island, Neb. for further testing.
They whole concept of an unassailable giant like Union Pacific, trying to carry the public on the cheap, is kind of scary. I mean if you try to raise corn or rabbits and fail, then it's too bad. Carrying 80 people and fail, is much more serious. But in those days, Union Pacific might refund the price of the ticket... to the next of kin. Think how little White Star paid to Titanic victims.

Last edited by xoxoxoBruce; 12-26-2015 at 03:23 PM.
xoxoxoBruce is offline   Reply With Quote