View Single Post
Old 12-20-2019, 05:05 PM   #2387
Flint
Snowflake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
Vulfpeck has always been about unusual promotion and unusual videotaping. So here is a complete show at Madison Square Garden, for free on YouTube, filmed with one wandering camera on stage, continuously shooting for the entire hour 44 minutes.

I wish it was high res. but the music is high res.

Nate Smith is an absolute MONSTER pocket drummer. After watching clips of him on Youtube, my playing--hi hat technique on 16th-note grooves-- c o m p l e t e l y changed. When I saw what it was possible to do with each hand on a fundamental groove (hands rooted to hats and snare, all single-hand parts) it gave me the courage to reach for it.

eta: similarly, I recently saw a clip (can't find it at the moment) of a 20-something year old, baby Tony Williams playing with Miles Davis in the 60s, and in this one moment, he reaches his right hand to the rack tom and plays a single-handed figure-- kind of, "riding" on the tom? I think about it all the time, and now there's another thing I "believe" my hand can do. I never would have thought of it except for SEEING him do it.
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio

Last edited by Flint; 12-20-2019 at 05:14 PM.
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote