Thread: Nightmare Fuel
View Single Post
Old 08-13-2014, 07:50 AM   #157
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

This pic was labeled 'rattlesnake fishing'.

Name:  rattlesnakefishing.jpg
Views: 493
Size:  50.7 KB

I was dubious, because the tail is too sharp and thin to have a rattle on it. So, off to Wikipedia, I was. I believe the specimen above is actually a diamondback water snake.

Wikipedia quote:

Quote:
When foraging for food they will hang on branches suspended over the water, dipping their head under the surface of the water, until they encounter a fish or other prey. They are frequently found basking on these branches over water, and when approached, they will quickly drop into the water and swim away. If cornered, they will often hiss, and flatten their head or body to appear larger. They only typically resort to biting if physically harassed or handled. Its bite is known to be quite painful due to its sharp teeth meant to keep hold of slippery fish. Unfortunately, this defensive behavior is frequently misinterpreted as aggression and often leads to their being mistaken for the venomous cottonmouth (Agkistrodon piscivorus), with whom they do share habitat in some places. The brown/tan coloration and diamond shaped pattern also causes these snakes to be mistaken for rattlesnakes, especially when encountered on land by individuals unfamiliar with snakes.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote