View Single Post
Old 04-25-2007, 07:46 PM   #126
monster
I hear them call the tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud View Post
I can't but be appalled at the turns this discussion has taken.

16 or 45--this behavior is juvenile.
Agreed. And my answer to the original question is that there is no set age. It's up to their parents/guardians as to whether they should have their own email address and if so, which type to pick (which is best at avoiding adult spam etc). It's up to you to decide whether their parents/guardians are likely to be able to monitor it appropriately before you suggest it.

Probably the younger the better, to be honest -when they are to young to know how to seriously rebel even if they wanted to. Skills learned young are skills for life. Make good behaviour a habit before it occurs to them to rebel and it'll be so much harder for them to hide rebellion from you (although make sure they know why they are doing what they are doing). Teach them how to spot spam and not to open it. Teach them about anonymity -don't open their email account in their name. Use the name of their favorite team or soft toy or book..... And make sure they use a communal computer and know to go to an adult the minute something comes up they don't recognise. Just extend their Safety Town "Stranger Danger" lessons to the internet. rkz is right that it's like real life, but he neglects to compare it to real life outside the home as well as in.