View Single Post
Old 06-09-2010, 02:03 PM   #2101
glatt

Eric Fischer has created maps of locations of photographs taken by tourists and residents. On flickr.

This guy took a look at the mapping information for all the pictures in major cities around the world, as posted to Flickr and Picassa. Then he looked at when the pictures were taken. If they were all taken within a short period of time (like a week or so) the person was considered a tourist. If they were taken months apart, the person was considered a resident. Residents' pictures were plotted with blue dots, and tourists' were plotted with red dots. You can see where the tourist destinations are in each city, and also where the local hot spots are.

I zoomed in on the super high resolution picture for Washington DC, and see a handful of images were taken in my backyard. I didn't know where they came from but then saw in my Picassa account over the last couple years, I've mapped a few pictures to my back yard. I'm confused though because I wasn't sure how public I had made them when I posted them.

Anyway, I think this is really cool information. These "maps" show where different types of people like to spend their time taking pictures.
Attached Images

glatt is offline   Reply With Quote