View Single Post
Old 12-09-2008, 12:14 PM   #26
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dar512 View Post
Assuming, for the moment, that you are not just jerking my chain.
By now you should know better; I don't jerk chains. I ask a question because the question is targeting an unknown, with intent of grasping like a nuclear explosion focused by a laser. The citation finally explained active verse passive - which most "English nazis" cannot do because they worry more about rules rather than provide facts in a useful manner.

Apparently the 'passive' sentence was "Provided are many suggestions." That sentence should be in active voice? "God provided many suggestions" which is no different from "I provided many suggestions" which also should not read "To dar512 are provided many suggestions". Every 'active' sentence completely and obviously detracts from the (not 'my' - the) only relevant point: "provided" and "many suggestions". Only passive voice says what I meant.

That 'passive voice' post was blunt and directed at the only thing relevant. At no time did I honor or worship an irrelevant "I", "You", "they", or "god". Those references are used excessively by others who need to believe people are somehow more important than a subject/object.

What did they teach in that English course on technical writing? Get rid of what I now know as active voice. When I write a technical paper, a lack of technical knowledge by the editor becomes obvious. She changed sentences to active voice because she was more into humanizing and "English nazism", could not grasp the topic and therefore had to personalize it, and never learned how to write technically. (Notice use of active voice because 'she' is relevant in that sentence.)

Active voice has limited place in a technical answer. References to persons, when not necessary, only creates confusion and adds irrelevance.

Many want an active voice because they don't like being put where they belong - secondary and irrelevant to a subject - therefore unmentioned. 'Passive voice' used because it (and not active voice) best made the statement intended. Again, screw those "English nazis" who are too busy worshipping English rules rather than learning how the world works.

Provided earlier were three tasks to address that computer's speed. Again, no silly references to what is irrelevant to the topic - me, you, Zengum, they, Cellar dwellars, a false idol called god, George Jr, ... I am neither relevant nor so egotistical as to include myself in that sentence.

From that citation:
Quote:
A passive construction occurs when you make the object of an action into the subject of a sentence.
Exactly. There was no difference between the object and subject. They are one and the same. "Provided were three tasks". "Provided are many questions". Converting either sentence to active voice only adds irrelevant words - wastes bandwidth - distorts what was intended. "English nazi" would rather add more useless words.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote