View Single Post
Old 10-09-2001, 12:00 PM   #8
Griff
still says videotape

Russian fireplace is a generic term for a wide range of wood burning masonry heaters in the Scandinavian tradition. Its also called a kachelofen in Germany/Austria/Switzerland. Mine is a modern version which has a manufactured core precisely made to burn firewood at around 1500 degrees F and at about 94% efficiency. This intense heat is stored in the masonry and slowly released so that only one or two short burns are required per day, so you don't risk a chimney fire at night. Its a really good fit for a tight efficient home. My first house was a log cabin with a regular woodstove which tended to have wide temperature swings. My new heater draws air for combustion from outside and can be completely closed down with a chimney top damper,so you optimize efficiency and maintain good air quality in the house.

I had to build a conrete and stone pier from the basement for it to sit on, assemble the core using refractory cement, face it in field stone picked off our farm here, and build and face a chimney. The brand I went with was Temp-Cast oot of Toronto. They usually have an add in Mother Earth News. (you can still build the whole thing yourself in you have the unyielding desire)

edit- smelling

Last edited by Griff; 10-09-2001 at 12:05 PM.
Griff is offline   Reply With Quote