View Single Post
Old 08-06-2007, 10:01 AM   #58
freshnesschronic
Professor

Yes, yes, and yes, Merc.
Here's an example: People stick up their noses when a bunch of Mexicans walk into a grocery store and have a slight accent. They are automatically labeled illegals even if their family has been there for 3 generations and the people say "Ugh, they are in America they should speak English well, ughhhhh." Or what about if they didn't have any accent, some people would treat them differently too, "Oh, you speak English so well, you're so well spoken " well he's not a monkey or parrot to be trained he's a goddamn man like anyone else. And here's the inverse: when speaking Spanish a white man it is totally acceptable for him to speak with a disgusting American accent and throw in "light-o" and "el hammer." Why is that acceptable? White privilege.

Here's some more good reads for everyone
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/boo...15951807&itm=1
Actually just search white privilege and you'll get good hits!

I know about this book from my anthropology class. Many of you will not understand this idea of white privilege and deny its existence, that's ok, because many many of my fellow students were confused when this topic was brought up and were like "I don't know what she's (my professor) talking about, 'Hasta La Vista Baby' doesn't have any hidden racism in there."
freshnesschronic is offline   Reply With Quote