View Single Post
Old 09-17-2008, 05:06 PM   #23
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Quote:
Originally Posted by DucksNuts View Post
Bullsharks - they are just sharks, they are eeeeeevil.

I bet the dolphin got the frick outta there when there were a few bullsharks.
Yeah...bullsharks are ugly fuckers, and they don't discriminate.

I was talking to Dazza about possible reasons why people think Dolphins don't swim with sharks, and I came up with a theory that if dolphins know a shark is about they take off because they're a sharks' natural prey. So in effect, if the dolphins are hanging around, it might indicate that there aren't any sharks about, but if the dolphins bugger off, so should you.

Of course, when there's schools of bait fish about, both dolphins and sharks feed from the same school at the same time, so that sort of blows a hole in that theory.

I've also personaly witnessed dolphins and sharks swimming in the same waters within moments of each other on Fraser Island during Taylor season. Actually, I had an eye opener when I was there as a kid. There were large sharks (I'm talking 3 or more metres long) swimming in the wash up from the waves. That's knee deep and less water, so since then I've held the belief, that if you're going to go in up to your knees, you might as well go the whole way in if it's sharks you're worried about.

I think mythbusters should probably stick to physics and chemistry though. That experiment they did has no scientific value what so ever, other than to prove that some sharks don't like rubber.

Personally, I think too many people have been watching flipper.

Last edited by Aliantha; 09-17-2008 at 05:11 PM.
Aliantha is offline   Reply With Quote