View Single Post
Old 05-31-2007, 08:55 AM   #128
HungLikeJesus
Only looks like a disaster tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesdave View Post
HLJ, back in the 70s I was heavily into Hi-Fi, and purchased a number of Hi-Fi magazines every month. I still remember an editorial in one, where the editor was dismissing digital music as being impossible to achieve, and that we would never see it in our life times. How funny is that? I cannot remember precisely, but I think he was reacting to Philips announcing the development of the CD.
The interesting thing is that some of the people quoted (e.g. Ken Olson, Thomas Watson, Lord Kelvin) were in a position to really know what they were talking about, and would have had a strong influence on what others were doing in their field.

I think the biggest danger is to just say "It can't be done," and discourage others from trying.

Sometimes engineers think that they have all the answers. But it's necessary to be able to work with MBAs and politicians and mechanics and marketers and english majors, and all those other people who are necessary to run a successful enterprise.

Engineers and scientists sometimes forget that they are just one little link in a long chain.

SteveDallas's Random Thread Picker.
HungLikeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote