View Single Post
Old 09-06-2008, 10:37 AM   #130
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

There would be a few possible reasons why the United States would want to revive a cold war. The US is a world superpower and it, the ones in charge, want to keep it that way.

Russia and the former USSR have been bitter enemies ever since the end of WWII and the US has shown that it will be willing to do anything to get the upper hand in this war including dropping atomic bombs on already beaten countries and supplying Islamic extremist with weapons to fight against their Soviet invaders.

All we have to do is look back 2200 years in the Mediterranean to see a similar situation with Rome and Carthage. After the first Punic War, which Rome won, Carthage came back wanting revenge and Hannibal came into Roman territory, devastating them, before finally losing the second Punic War. Then, in between the second and third Punic war, Roman War Hawks would end every speech with some comment relating to the total destruction of Carthage, which they finally accomplished in later years.

Old Red Scare politicians, while not to the extreme as the Romans, still think in similar ways so they could want to start a second Cold War to either prevent a Russian "Hannibal" or to totally destroy Russia.

Another option is to look at who profits from Cold Wars, that can always give a hint onto what is happening as well.