View Single Post
Old 02-28-2013, 12:28 PM   #9051
Big Sarge
Werepandas - lurking in your shadows

Noncustodial interference is a felony in MS. Officers refuse to act on a custody agreement. They will only intervene if the court issues an order. That is standard throughout our state now. I even had it written in my policy & procedures matter at the PD.

Last time I was called out on one of these, it was the grandparents witholding a child from their own daughter. Grandmother was arrested after a brief barricade situation. The grandfather then attempted suicide and I had to shoot him with a taser.

Sound advice from all. I called her other grandfather and he arranged for me to talk to Addie on the phone while the wicked ex had run home to take a shower. I feel better. I won't go to the hospital and risk a confrontation aroud Addie. BTW, Addie has a stomach virus and had become dehydrated.

Please don't take offense if I seem snippy about what can be done with custody. Every state & even jurisdiction is different. Our local agencies refuse to get involved. The reasoning is the status of the custody agreement. Has it been modified or changed and we are only seeing one that is favorable to that parent? Also there is tremendous liability if an officer screws up and gives the child to the wrong parent. The officer then could be charged with infringement of civil rights or evan custodial interference