View Single Post
Old 12-14-2016, 08:05 AM   #10738
Snakeadelic
Banned

Went to the dentist yesterday, as the nasty antibiotics have failed. Today I get to go to a consult and will probably have to schedule surgical extraction, because the remaining pocket of infection from the double in-the-bone abscesses I woke up to on Black Friday (the day before my birthday!) is hiding under a root canal post. It's gotta get pulled.

Also, I am awaiting the usual 'how'd we do' survey from my Black Friday emergency room visit at the local hospital. There are a couple of things p*ssing me off about that:
1. If you are an osteopath, or any other type of medical provider that BY DEFINITION does not believe in the use of prescription drugs (I looked this **** up), you should NOT be the only doc on duty in the only ER in the county on a major holiday weekend.
2. I know you MUST have an in-state medical license to practice in this state, and this has been confirmed by more than one other medical practitioner since then. That being the case, I'm a little perturbed that the state's database of all licensed professionals--plumbers, accountants, physicians, therapists of all kinds, EVERYTHING--has never heard of this doctor. All online info about him lists him as having an OREGON license, and they aren't reciprocal!
3. For the love of whatever you hold holy, when someone comes dragging in literally crying from the double hotspots of burning, throbbing, stabbing pain in their mouth, DO NOT (SEVERELY UNLADYLIKE WORDS HERE) FREAK OUT AT THEM when they ask for help with pain and specifically state that their normal pain meds aren't touching this issue. Seriously, he yelled at me! Said he wasn't going to touch anything dental and would lose his license if he gave me pain meds. I started crying, my neighbor (who does the driving) started begging on my behalf instead of straight-up punching this idiot, and eventually said idiot declared he'd call my MD but I wasn't to expect any help with pain. Then he never came back to the exam room, instead sending the nurse with a 'scrip. No antibiotics, just a total of 6 pills of a pain med almost exactly the same as the one I already take--guess my doctor told him I'm not to be treated like a drug-seeking addict! I had to wait for Monday to get an antibiotic prescribed by my dentist, and since I have a pain contract with my MD I called his office that Monday morning to schedule the required followup to any ER visit. By the time I saw him Friday morning, the antibiotic prescribed by the dentist (Cephalexin) had failed. MD put me on Clindamycin, which I finished as instructed, and which is the one that has now failed.

So today I get checked out for an UGLY surgical extraction. Tomorrow I'm supposed to do physical therapy, which I won't know if I have to cancel until probably almost too late to call the PT office--if the extraction can be done today, they definitely won't want me jacking my pulse rate with 15 minutes of walking at 3 mph in chin-deep water! Odds are, because there's a root canal post that'll have to come out, they're going to have to schedule me for a full-on knock-my-butt-out surgery...otherwise I'd have to skip my breakfast and 2 doses of most of my meds because today's appointment isn't until 4 PM!!! Then I think Friday I see my MD again...he's gonna be surprised.

I really (unladylike word) HATE having bad teeth. And it's not all about dental hygiene. My mom has GREAT oral care habits and exactly 0 remaining intact original teeth. I'm glad I didn't get her vision in the bargain too! By my age she was on her like 3rd trifocal 'scrip, where I just got my first pair of bifocals last year.
Snakeadelic is offline   Reply With Quote