View Single Post
Old 01-04-2014, 09:17 AM   #48
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

I think that this is a good reason for decriminalization. If we look at alcohol prohibition, it was doomed to failure because a broad segment of the population ignored it, including at least one sitting president. I do not believe that the laws against alcohol were anywhere near as damaging as those against marijauna. which can affect the entire future of a young adult. Add to that drug testing, which can stigmatize individuals, sometimes by error. I really believe that if drug laws were blindly enforced, with no regard for race, social position, wealth, decriminalization would have occurred long ago.

So we now have a dual system where middle and upper class white kids are treated differently, including having the ability to experiment on college campuses relatively free from police oversight.

I'm still amazed at the number of conservatives who bitch about $5000 per year worth of welfare or other social benefits but are ok with $20000 to $30000 in per capita prison costs.

I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama

Last edited by richlevy; 01-04-2014 at 09:31 AM.
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote