Thread: The Obamanation
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2009, 09:42 PM   #49
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

I've had my concerns, but I'm beginning to wonder how much of a 's problem Pelosi is really gonna be for Obama. I think that he is genuine in his desire to do what is right, but after four appointees with tax issues, this has not been a great start. He is getting some things done and seems to be trying. Doesn't he have these appointees checked out beforehand? I mean seriously - WTF? Did these people think no one would notice or find out about prior problems? This makes him look naive.

Enter Nancy Pelosi -

Quote:
WILLIAMSBURG, Va. — As whispers of tension between the White House and congressional Democrats cloud negotiations over the stimulus, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) reassured her rank and file Thursday that they remain President Barack Obama's "most enthusiastic supporters."

"We have his back," Pelosi told a roomful of Democrats at the party's annual retreat at the Kingsmill Resort and Spa, according to people in the room.

The speaker also pledged "to work in a bipartisan way" before complaining that Republican ideas "take us in the wrong direction."

Her remarks won loud applause from the assembled lawmakers, according to one participant.

In her remarks to the Democratic retreat, Pelosi also promised her caucus that she would restore regular order to the House by bringing legislation through committees — something Democrats often ignored during their first two years in power."

The speaker also promised to be more fiscally responsible as Congress moves forward.

"We must not heap mountains of debt on our children and grandchildren," Pelosi told the crowd.
Well isn't that interesting, She "promised to be more fiscally responsible"
Not with this bill - doesn't this thing "heap mountains of debt on our children and grandchildren." The exact thing she said we couldn't do?

Quote:
Pelosi has had to fight back reports that Obama administration officials had tacitly encouraged dissent from moderate Blue Dog Democrats. Many of these fiscally conservative Democrats have pushed back on the size and scope of the stimulus, and Obama has been open about trimming back Pelosi’s version of the bill.

From Time

Quote:
On nearly every major issue — from the auto bailout and the stimulus bill to tax cuts and the delicate question of whether to investigate Bush Administration officials for crimes related to torture — Pelosi has voiced and even pushed through the House differing positions from the President, at times to the embarrassment of Democrats. Obama and Pelosi each, of course, have distinct motives, and personalities: Pelosi is a partisan warrior who must tend to her caucus, while Obama got elected as a postpartisan healer, implicitly attacking the old ways of Washington and striving to appeal to a broader national base.
Quote:
"Is it your fault in some ways," pressed a reporter at Pelosi's weekly press conference last Thursday, "that Barack Obama's first vote was so partisan and not bipartisan?"

Pelosi snapped back: "I didn't come here to be partisan. I didn't come here to be bipartisan. I came here, as did my colleagues, to be nonpartisan, to work for the American people, to do what is in their interest."

Obama may have the political capital, but Pelosi has no illusions about the way things work on Capitol Hill. "What she realized with Obama coming in was that, yeah, we can go through this dance, but at the end of the day, this was going to be a tutorial for the Obama folks," a House staffer close to Pelosi told Politico. "They're all going to vote against you and then come to your cocktail party that night."
I find this very interesting - there seems to be a power struggle taking place here.

Last edited by classicman; 02-05-2009 at 09:48 PM.
classicman is offline   Reply With Quote