View Single Post
Old 10-02-2013, 10:10 PM   #6
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

An excellent guide for civilians like us for learning how to live with these creatures.

Homeowner Guide to Yellowjackets, Bald-Faced Hornets, and Paper Wasps

eta:

Two weeks ago I was working in Twil's yard and stirred up some yellow jackets. I looked down at the back of my left hand where I felt one stinging me through my glove, swatted it and then noticed that I had several buzzing around me. I ran like hell away from that spot waaaay in the back, swatting and swearing and yelling for help. I looked like those cartoons where the arms and legs are a whirling blur! I was stripping off my clothes as I ran toward the house, went straight into the shower when I was down to my underwear. I had a dozen stings I could count, on my arms, torso, hands by the time I got out of the shower, including one on the back of my head where it climbed into my hair. Very fucking painful.

I've since learned that I likely disturbed and underground nest and running like hell was my best defense. It's a banner year here in the Pacific Northwest for these creatures. The mild conditions helped them thrive, and they're likely to continue to thrive until the first frost, since that's what kills them. Kind of made me want to pour a thousand gallons of liquid nitrogen on the area. Fuuuuuuck that hurt.

Last edited by BigV; 10-02-2013 at 10:23 PM.
BigV is offline   Reply With Quote