View Single Post
Old 04-02-2003, 12:20 PM   #27
dave

Quote:
Originally posted by azion
Fact: under Clinton, the US ran consistent budget surpluses.
I dare you to back this up.

You can't, because it simply isn't true. We had a surplus in '99 and '00, and <b>that was it</b>. This is reported by the Congressional Budget Office, and I have the following numbers from them: a deficit of $255 Billion in '93, a deficit of $203 Billion in '94, a deficit of $164 Billion in '95, a deficit of $107 Billion in '96, a deficit of $23 Billion in '97 and a deficit of $29 Billion in '98.

If by "consistent" you mean "it happened a total of two times over his eight years in office, for a total of 25% of those years, during which the dot-com era was at its height and therefore boatloads of cash was flowing into the government via taxes and it therefore would have been pretty fucking hard to run a deficit", well then yes, the US ran consistent budget surpluses under Clinton.

Quote:
Conclusion: blaming the war on terror and on Saddam (the two are not one and the same) for the deficits is entirely and demonstrably false.
That is stunning, considering that it isn't the challenge I posed. I also never said anything about Saddam, so I'm not sure why you're bringing it up in our discussion, as if I had implied that the two <b>were</b> one and the same.

What I'm asking is where it's proven that, to have a balanced budget, we <b>need</b> a "Tax-and-Spend Liberal".

My contention is that we can't entirely blame Bush for the current clusterfuck because a lot of other shit happened too.