View Single Post
Old 02-09-2014, 01:17 PM   #39
Kayla Faye
Bastard Factory Bitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
Yep, that name. I haven't read his posts. But his name and avatar a red flag for me.

There aren't many rules in the Cellar. There is little in the way of censorship (I know loads of sites that have language filters and the like, which is just awful imo) and that's the way most of us like it. But: a user name which advocates racial violence (or religious violence) would most likely break the few rules we have.

It certainly gives a very bad impression of your community to a casual visitor, in my opinion, since few casual visitors are likely to go looking at his posts and see other people arguing with him. It just looks at first glance as if that sort of stuff is acceptable there.

[eta] I phrased that poorly. 'bad impression' may be the wrong way to describe it. It all depends on what you're looking for in a forum. Some people are looking for a fiery place of flame wars and board fights, where all extremes are represented. There's value in that. But I am looking for a community wherein members of different outlooks feel welcome and 'safe'. Someone expressing anti-muslim views is one thing - we've had a few, and doubtless will again. Those are arguments to be had. But a username like that suggests that such views are mainstream acceptable to the site as an organisation.

We would not allow a username like 'Kill all Gays' here. Because it steps over the line into hate speech and advocates violence on the basis of sexual orientation. And because we have members here who are in that demographic. They have a right to be a part of this community without being subjected to hate speech every time that user posts anything.
I go there for the random chit chats.

I know what you mean though. I think its come up over there too, but when a message board prides itself on free speech and almost anything goes, yet keeps the trolls out of the main forum. its kinda win win.

I mean how do you tell someone to change there name and keep certain free speech intact?

Also, they only have like 2 moderators and they don't get involved really unless they have to. I like that a lot!

http://bastardfactory.net/forums/thr...um-rules.4696/

those are the rules too.

I mean the place has the right idea, but asshole member names??

I dunno.
Kayla Faye is offline   Reply With Quote