View Single Post
Old 03-08-2018, 03:40 PM   #11873
Glinda
Fucktard Resistance League

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post
I'd never notice $186.

Take the chunk and put it in something similar, or roll it.

Then again, if the $186 would make a noticeable difference, then that might be the thing to do. Maybe that matches nicely with a monthly bill. Hey, free electricity/groceries/heat/water/weed for life!!!

Yeah, that wasn't any help at all.
I did consider that $186 a month isn't much, but would cover my TV, phone, and internet bills. Of course, I could croak at any time, so I'm not convinced an annuity is a good thing.

Besides, I've decided I need a fence along my southern property line - the asshole neighbor on the other side has forced me to take him to court because he won't pay his share of the cost to repair my road (logging truck damage). That southern boundary is 310 feet, and I want a GOOD fence that won't crap out 10 years from now - I've decided on clear-coated cedar with metal posts in cement. I don't want asshole neighbor or his seven brats crossing my property line ever again. That's an $8200 bill.

Plus, I've got to pay the full road repair cost myself, and will eventually get repaid by asshole neighbor. That's $5900 to me (with an eventual $4747 repayment).

And, I'm going to have the road construction crew move some land around my property to give me a flat/terraced back yard (20% slope back there right now) and build a 20' x 30' graveled pallet so I can one day build a nice outbuilding. That's another $5000 for a total of about $19,000.

My initial thought is to take the lump sum payment, pay for all this shit, put whatever's left over into my IRA, and put the eventual payment from asshole neighbor into the IRA as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by limey View Post
I got a recent offer from a similar pension fund - they wanted to buy me out because if I take the money now it's the cheaper option for them, and it was impossible that putting it into a new scheme (i.e. IRA in your case) would bring me the same income that is available under the current scheme. My financial adviser said stick. YMMV.
Yeah, I need to talk to a money guy. *sigh* I hate money problems, but at least this is a GOOD money problem.

Glinda is offline   Reply With Quote