Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
Looks like your product design was a goodun, though

congratulations to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
I'd love to see the product. Probably a secret for now, but maybe someday. It's cool that the prof is so enthusiastic and there is still some interest out there.
When I get the go ahead I'll post.

Quote:
So my son has another massive study guide to go over for this same social studies class. There's a test next week. It's clearly just memorizing shit for the state standardized test.
Push back is coming. Lil Pete's friends Dad has done a documentary on it. Kids are spending an absurd amount of time prepping for and taking these nonsensical exams.

https://www.facebook.com/STANDARDIZEDtheMOVIE
Quote:
But this is the proud thread, so let me tell you about Monday of last week. They do a career shadowing day, where the student spends the day with an adult at their job so they get a sense of what kind of work is out there. Glatt Jr. is a builder and tinkerer, so we wound up arranging for him to shadow our electrician friend. He absolutely loved it. Our friend gave him real jobs to do all day long. He was using a right angle drill to drill through the studs the entire length of a wall. He was pulling wire and making connections with wire nuts. He was nailing outlet boxes to studs, after measuring the proper distance from the floor. Cutting holes in drywall and fishing wires through. And he loved every minute of it. Our friend told him that the helpers he normally hires need to have things explained to them a few times, but the boy did everything right the first time. He promised our son that once he turned 14, if the business has enough work lined up and is busy, he would hire him for summer jobs. And then our electrician friend went home and was talking to his wife, saying that if it all worked out, he could see selling the business to our son one day and retiring. The boy is really smart, but hates academics. I think he would make an awesome electrician, and this business has provided a good life for our friend. So who knows? But he got a job offer at age 12!
Awesome! Do you realize how rare these kind of skills are now that education is focused on making cogs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
I love it when adults are able/willing to see the potential in a kid. Mr. Clod got his first computer job at 16 because he was working the checkout line at the grocery store, and some dude was complaining about his printer not working as he went through the line, and Mr. Clod gave him several suggestions on how to maybe fix it. The dude said "come work for me then" and the rest is history. I think there are a ton of industries that are missing out on real talent because we're all too focused on pure academics and not the reality of a satisfying (and still intellectually stimulating) career.
Brilliant. There needs to be more of this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Yes, I've been seeing articles about companies not being able hire experienced machine shop people.
My neighbor can verify this. He's talking about downsizing his shop to the point where he does all the work.