View Single Post
Old 02-16-2007, 10:22 AM   #138
Phil
Hoodoo Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
I'm half and half -I drove like that in the UK, here the bad habits are rubbing off. Plus they don't have speed cameras and red light cameras -they actually have to catch you!

I remember in the UK being explicitly taught that when you pull into traffic, make sure the gap is big enough that you won't cause the next car to slow down. -For your safety as well as as courtesy to them. Especially when joining motorways where you should use the slip road to accelerate to the speed of the traffic before you join. And don't pull off the hard shoulder until you're almost at the traffic speed and -again- the gap is big enough.

I think an awful lot of people here missed class that day. It scares me the way people will happily put into a small gap in 70mph traffic from being stationary on the hard shoulder. Or into 40mph traffic from their sideroad when the next car is 20 feet away. And there are more gaps to be had in this part of the world -the traffic is nothing like in Birmingham (UK). Rather a few seconds late than permanently late, imo. (but I'm damned if I'm going to stop for that orange light.... )
my stepfather was American and during his short time here in Wales, he was astounded at the idea of a ROUNDABOUT, and of course, our small roads.