Thread: Election 2012
View Single Post
Old 07-23-2012, 03:33 PM   #117
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Excellent. That really gels with my image of that world and that kind of business environment.

There are plenty of wealthy people in the public eye whose money does not make them a target for people's anger and disdain. But when one of them offers himself up as a potential leader for a nation of hardworking individualists and entrepreneurs, Romney's particular flavour of wealth seems insulting. Particularly coupled with his aggressiveness towards anybody else getting 'something for nothing' and 'free stuff'.

Personally, the way I see it is this: nobody is obligated to pay more tax than they are legally bound to. If there is a legal way of reducing that tax burden then have at it. But...reducing it too much starts to show a lack of consideration for the national community. People like Romney paint their stance on tax as anti-big government, but it plays an awful lot like anti-American to me. Morally irresponsible. Now that's all well and good and we can all roll our eyes at the shennanigans of the moneyed few. But when someone wants to lead the country I would want to see a person who cares enough about the country to pay a fair level of tax.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote