View Single Post
Old 10-31-2004, 12:10 PM   #12
CharlieG
Hoodoo Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katkeeper
Forgot to comment on the picture. It is great - shows everything. Was the cancer due to shots? I have read about a higher rate of cancer in cats that have had lots of shots.
Ack - Vaccine Associated Sarcoma - also called Injection Site Sarcoma because it does NOT seem to require vaccine.

My Cat Tuxedo was diagnosed with VAS 2 years aro in April or May (I could look it up). VAS is a form of Fibrosarcoma that is directly related to injection sites - and any swelling found there. By _MOST_ studies, it seems to be 1)Genetic and 2)Moderately rare, but this point is HIGHLY debated

The BAD part about fibrosarcoma (of any type) in cats OR humans - It's a tough nasty cancer. It tends NOT to mestastize - BUT it sends out tendrils. The problem is, to a surgeon who does NOT know he is dealing with fibrosarcoma, or is inexperienced, they tend NOT to take large enough margins. I talk about surgery, because they have NOT found a drug that works against fibrosarcoma, and it is only slightly effected by radiation. Right now the "Gold Standard" is radical surgery (with at least 1cm clean margins - prefer 2cm) followed by 21 radiation treatments (this is for cats)

Tux is lucky - he has been in remission since Early September 2002. He's one of the rare cats that survives that long with fibrsarcoma - most don't make it to 1 year - never mind 2 years in remission
CharlieG is offline   Reply With Quote