View Single Post
Old 10-06-2017, 09:16 PM   #40
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
... disruptions of the status quo, regardless of how valid the cause, make people uncomfortable. That's a good way to get noticed but not a good way to win hearts and minds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint View Post
... What form of protest is acceptable to call attention to a problem that people don't want you to talk about in the first place? ... There is no acceptable form of protest, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
... I'm first to admit it sucks, and I don't have a clue how to fix it. ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
(The thread can well go where people like s'all good)
Well thank you, that's mighty white of you; so, we'll boldly go where no dwellar has gone before.

People need to make themselves invaluable, indispensable, in some way vital to others. When I served in the US Special Forces, there were no black people. There were no brown, yellow; or, red people. But then, there were no white people either. Everyone there was the same color ... olive drab. Everyone was dependent on each other's capabilities and contributions to the team effort for their continued existence; so, they regarded each other as the same. This was actually taught in the qualification course and practiced in the units. It better prepared them for their roles as fighters/teachers in training foreign indigenous personnel.

There needs to be grassroots efforts in communities, by people who want to be treated the same, to make themselves vital to others. How that's achieved may vary from place to place; but, once it's accomplished and they've in some way become indispensable, the old adage When you've got them by the balls, their hearts and minds will follow. becomes a reality.

If you want to provide meaningful assistance to BLM (or other such movement), look for ways in which they can make themselves invaluable if you really want them to attain parity. With parity comes respect. They have rights; but, rights without respect are fleeting. Keep in mind that where most people are coming from respect, like trust, is earned, not demanded. If you try to demand it, you'll fall by the wayside.

ETA: If you can't do this, learn to cut your losses.

Last edited by sexobon; 10-06-2017 at 10:11 PM.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote