View Single Post
Old 03-31-2016, 01:02 PM   #14
glatt

Sunday, 3/13/16

I was basically done with the frame and used scrapers and planes to clean up glue squeeze out and make sure the frame surfaces were level, plumb, and/or square as needed.

Then it was time to make the wheels. I had tons of scrap quarter inch luan plywood that was 25 years old or more. I had pulled it off the poorly finished basement ceiling when we bought the house and just stacked it in the corner. I used several sheets to build a kayak 15 years ago, and now I’m making a band saw with some more of it.

I took a pair of dividers and taped a pencil to one leg to make a large compass. I drew a bunch of slightly large circles on a scrap of plywood.
Name:  IMG_3780.JPG
Views: 487
Size:  96.7 KB

Then I used a nice compass to draw a smaller circle that will be the same diameter as a flange for lining stuff up later. And I drew a medium sized circle to locate the 4 clamp holes later.
Name:  IMG_3781.JPG
Views: 458
Size:  104.3 KB

I cut these circles out square and glued them up, alternating the grain direction of the outside surface of plywood. I used lots of glue again. I want these to be glued well, and I’ve got a gallon of glue.
Name:  IMG_3782.JPG
Views: 455
Size:  96.6 KB

Maybe I used too much glue. Better too much than too little here. What a mess!
Name:  IMG_3785.JPG
Views: 475
Size:  143.4 KB

Last edited by glatt; 03-31-2016 at 02:03 PM.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote