View Single Post
Old 03-01-2007, 01:59 PM   #286
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

This is less to do with my pace and more to do with behaviour and respect.

I have peripheral vision (mirrors if I am driving).
As a pedestrian I don't stop so suddenly that someone walks into the back of me or has to make a bizarre sideways jerk to avoid doing so - in the same way I wouldn't in a car.

Of course I don't expect other people to move at the same pace as me - I just prefer them to have some awareness of what is happening around them.

If decided to stop suddenly in a car (we're talking non-emergency situation) I would check my mirrors beforehand. All I want is for people to have a similar consideration when shopping.

Don't step back to look at something without seeing if anyone is approaching.
Don't stand with your two friends for a chat in the middle of an aisle.
Don't stop suddenly in a crowded shop where there will obviously be people right behind you.
I was taught this as a child as a matter of respect. Although my parents are 60+ now (and Dad with a cane and a replacement knee) it still applies to them as well as me.

And re tailgating - I could say the same about the people who press their shopping trolleys against my legs in queues (all have been OAPs, hence my original rant). I can't step forward any more without encroaching on the personal space of the person in front - so don't think pressing up against me is going to help - it's just damn rude.

My issue is with people who don't show me the same consideration I show them. If is was simply about people who didn't move quickly enough I'd be shoving them out of my path. I don't care if someone is a spotty teen, an OAP or in a motorised wheelchair - if they contravene my "rules of the road" it annoys the shit out of me. I do nothing about it apart from the occasional fart (have searced - perhaps I didn't post that here) and this thread.