View Single Post
Old 09-07-2008, 12:45 AM   #38
Juniper
I know, right?

My hubby has always been friends with single guys as well as the married ones. Divorced ones, too, and even a poly guy with two "wives" in the mix. Why not? A friend is a friend. I don't understand why anyone would stop an active friendship based on changing marital status; I wouldn't want him to, because I care about his friends as well.

We do have two friends however who apparently are no longer permitted to spend time with their old friends, since they got married - not just the single ones, but the married ones too. I have no idea how their wives pulled that off; now the only people they hang out with are HER friends. Really made me lose respect for those spineless saps. Good riddance, I guess.

I think women have a harder time with their single friends than men do. From my own experience, nothing changed after the wedding - it is all about having children. Once you have kids, you're tied down and often can only manage to spend time with other women who have kids the same age, so the kids can play together while moms socialize. Even if someone else is watching the kids, honestly, that becomes all that a mom has on the brain - at least for the first few years - and it gets awfully tiring for single ladies to sit and listen to someone yammer about diapers and breastfeeding and preschool. I know, I've been on both sides.

I am still guilty of this. My kids are 10 and 12 and I still have trouble going for any length of time without mentioning them in a conversation; I'll manage to find a way to fit them in. Life just isn't the same after you have children.
Juniper is offline   Reply With Quote