View Single Post
Old 01-08-2012, 07:33 AM   #438
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite monkey View Post
Brianna, is it expensive to do Atkins? I gotta do something. Apparently my metabolism expired at at age 47.
It doesn't have to be $$$$$ and you KNOW I'm on a budget.

The thing is - after a week (or even less) my cravings for sugar and carbs is DONE and I eat normal to small amounts of the food I am allowed to have. The freedom from the absolute control of carbs is, for me, a wonderful thing. I feel so good and then I wonder why I fall off the wagon when carbs make me feel so very, very tired and moody. eh, life.

It is protein heavy - and that means meat - (no dairy in first two weeks of induction) but if you throw in a lot of vegs (peppers, broccoli, snow peas, green beans, water chestnuts, etc) you can really make the meat stretch and I've found I just am NOT HUNGRY. When I'm eating carbs, I eat like I'm living at the county fair - high carbs, high fat. And every Burger King commercial sends me wandering into the kitchen for something to eat, I'm that addicted.

Chicken breasts are 1.99/lb. at Kroger all the time. You can make chicken salad with real mayo and celery and eat all you want. that's not $$$$.

It's pretty reasonable, really. The expensive things are the Atkins bars or shakes which I only use in dire emergencies - like no time or needing something sweet or I'll drink.

I know it's a controversial diet but it has worked for me in the past with very little pain - whereas low fat diets left me starving and miserable and feeling very, very deprived. Eggs are big on this diet and they are cheap, too.

A doctor I respect and admire actually recommended atkins for me. He says it's the best diet for alcoholics as it def. evens out your insulin levels and cravings.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote