View Single Post
Old 11-15-2011, 11:01 AM   #7624
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae View Post
How could you not deserve it?

Funeral yesterday went as well as it possibly could.
No weeping and wailing, a dignified send off all done in a very proper way.
The afternoon and evening were restrained, but did feel in a way like a celebration of his life, rather than po-faced mourning.

We had a party for Grandad's 80th and said a lot of the things we wanted to then. We felt it was important to say them in his hearing, while he was alive and well, rather than wait until after he died. So last night felt a bit like his 80th all over again, except that this time he wasn't here shaking his head over all the people who wanted to praise him, and marvelling at the amount of food and drink.

Less people this time round, that's what happens when you get to 88.
But his neices and nephews made a good showing in respect of his siblings, also some people from church as well as Mum's friends.

... Cheeky old mare. I got my revenge by doing an impression of her in the kitchen after she left. This cracked my BIL up so much he demanded I repeat it again later, after a few sherberts. He will probably amuse other people with the anecdote for a while now. Not so much what she said, although that tickled him, but by my spirited impression of her.

Spreading a little joy every day...
All good, all good. Now you can get on and grieve, Sundae. Or maybe it's all done now? I find my grieving comes out in bits and pieces ... it's never done with, really. Sorry, I know this is the happy thread, so I'll just say the dead never leave you, really, and that is good and comforting (for me, anyways).